- Help ELLs achieve proficiency in speaking, in listening comprehension, and in reading and writing English.
- Provide ELLs the necessary language skills to function comparably to their native English-speaking peers in academic and social situations.
- Offer a high-quality education that values and promotes students' sense of pride in their home languages and native cultures.
- Encourage all students and families in the District to respect and appreciate countries and cultures different from their own.
- Involve all HSSD educators, students' families, and community members in the education of our ELL students.
Arabic, Bulgarian, German, Gujarati, Hindi, Hmong, Jamaican Creole,
Mandarin Chinese, Marathi, Portuguese, Russian, Somali,
Spanish, Swiss German, Tagalog, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
The Howard-Suamico School District English as a Second Language Program is committed to ensuring that all of our students receive the best education possible. The HSSD ELL Program supports learners in developing English language needed to succeed in school and beyond. Language instruction is delivered by licensed ELL teachers and highly qualified ELL paraprofessionals at the elementary, junior high and high school levels. Instruction is delivered in English and targets the development of both language and academic content.
Our K-12 ELL instructional model emphasizes learning language through content. ELL teachers help students build a foundation of content knowledge, academic problem-solving skills, and language proficiency. Our program is designed to help limited English-proficient students improve their English speaking, reading, writing, and listening and empower them to become self-sufficient in a general education classroom.