Getting involved is as easy as 1, 2, 3 . . .
1. Preview opportunities available for volunteers.
· view on the Howard-Suamico School District web site at www.hssd.k12.wi.us/volunteer
· contact the District Volunteer Coordinator, Diane Schmidtke, at 662-8186 or
e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org ,
· stop in any school or district location for a listing of opportunities
· talk to your friends and neighbors (they may know or have volunteered already)!
2. Apply to be a volunteer.
· each school and district location uses the same application/profile form
· on-line version is available on the volunteer web site - www.hssd.k12.wi.us/volunteer
· or pick up a paper application at any school or print a paper copy from the web site
· an application must be completed and approved before starting your volunteer service
· certain levels of volunteers must also have criminal background and reference checks completed prior to
service to ensure the safety and security of our students
· Criminal background and reference checks take time to complete. For this reason, a volunteer's
application must be submitted no less than 4 weeks prior to the first day of volunteer service,
and no applications requiring background checks will be accepted after April 30th of the school
year during which the volunteer services are to be provided.
3. Wait for follow up communication from the school, program contact person, or the District Volunteer Coordinator.
· You can also check your Volunteer Profile on the web site. Remember that volunteers requiring a
background check will need to be a bit more patient prior to approval and assignment.
· Once you are assigned and complete orientation (review of the volunteer guidebook) and any
necessary training specific to your activity, you can begin making a difference in the lives of our youth.